Pet Appreciation Week: June 5-11th 2016
Pet appreciation week is a time to celebrate how much our pets mean to us.
Our pets do a lot more for us than provide unconditional love, they help us relieve stress and encourage us to exercise. According to the Centers for Disease Control, pets can decrease your blood pressure, lower your cholesterol and increase your opportunities for socialization.
To learn more about the health benefits of pet ownership visit www.avma.org
Here are just a few ideas on how to celebrate this week. This is our chance to encourage our pets to exercise, help them relieve some of their stress, and keep them healthy.
Ideas for Dog Owners
- Add an extra ten minutes to one of your daily walks
- Learn to give your dog a massage to reduce his stress
- Visit the dog park, or take a hike in the woods
- Bake homemade dog biscuits with all of his favorite flavors baked in
- Make sure his license, vet and microchip records are up to date
Ideas for Cat Owners
- Play laser beam for a few minutes of exercise each day
- Play him a DVD made especially for cats
- Gently brush your cat or use a massaging grooming glove for a few minutes each day
- Plant some cat grass near one of his favorite hideouts, or let him roll in some catnip
- Make sure his licence, vet and microchip records are up to date